Hanny's - Landmark International Style Building
40 N. First St, Phoenix, AZ 85004
Price: $18.80-28.80 Sq Ft LEASE
Available for the right user, the top two floors of this Landmark Phoenix Building are now available for lease. Constructed in 1947 the Hanny’s building features 3 stories, a basement, and a mezzanine level. It is located at the prominent southwest corner of Adam’s and 1st Streets in downtown Phoenix.
The opening of the Hanny’s Department Store was heralded in the November 22, 1947 Arizona Times as “an architectural divergence” for downtown Phoenix and also for bringing a “new look”, architecturally speaking, to the city. The building’s international-style facade brought thousands to its opening and Hanny’s was praised as being a modern department store.
The building is a significant late example of prominent local architects Royal Lescher and Leslie Mahoney. Throughout their long careers, Lescher and Mahoney produced architectural designs of high quality that reflected the latest, popular styles of the day. With the Hanny’s Building, the latest style was the International Style. This technique became trendy in the United States by the 1930’s, but did not reach Phoenix until the late 1940’s.
Hanny’s is recognized as the best International Style commercial building in Phoenix, and possibly in Arizona. The building itself recognized the city’s entry into the modern post World War II commercial era and significantly influenced commercial building design in the 1950’s.
This branch of the Hanny's department stores was the “go-to” place for Valley residents looking for sophisticated men's fashions until its closure in 1986. It now houses the signature restaurant and bar of the same name. The Design is internationally recognized and has been recently featured by Architectural Record: http://tiny.cc/azarchhannys
The available space is accesed streetside by elevator only and is perfect for creative office and potentially other uses. It is shown by appointment only.